Skip to main content

Make a Report

Adult Protective Services (APS)

APS investigates allegations that a vulnerable adult was abused, neglected, or exploited by an alleged perpetrator. APS’ focus is primarily on the conduct of individuals and not healthcare systems. A report should be made to APS if you feel that a vulnerable adult has been harmed because of actions (or inaction) taken by a specific person or persons. In most cases, this requires the alleged perpetrator to either intentionally or recklessly harm the vulnerable adult. Vermont Law establishes who are vulnerable adults and what constitutes abuse, neglect, and exploitation.

Make a Report with APS

Survey and Certification (S&C)

S&C surveys health care facilities and agencies to assure they are in compliance with federal and state regulations. S&C employs registered nurses who travel statewide to hospitals, home health agencies, nursing homes, residential care homes, and a host of other health care providers to assess whether the care and services given to residents and patients meet federal and state regulations. A report should be made to S&C if you feel that patients or residents have been harmed or may be harmed by the inappropriate practices of a healthcare organization. Organizations may be out of compliance with regulations, even if no staff members are intentionally or recklessly harming patients or residents.

Make a Report with S&C

Depending on the circumstances of your situation, it may be appropriate to make reports to both APS and S&C.